Thursday, January 28

Resin Artist Feature: Pansie Designs

This week's featured resin artist is Pansie Designs.

I love her bold and colorful designs, and most especially adore her Rhinestone necklaces:





On to the interview...

Q: We always start simply...What's your name?
A: Kara Mae Harris.. currently selling as Pansie Designs, hoping for a better name to strike me.

Q: Tell us a little about yourself. Where do you live? Are you married? Children? Pets?
A: I live in Baltimore and I do have a dog named Maple who just turned 1.

Q: How did you get started working with resin?
A: I started making little bottle cap charms and other boxed-in items and coatings in 2003 and just loved the fact that I was making plastic. It wasn't until around 4 years later that I tried making cast objects from resin alone. Realizing its possibilities got me hooked.

Q: Any advice you would like to share with those just learning the art of resin?
A: Don't be afraid to start casting. Bezels and lacquered things are great but I think the best understanding of resin comes from using it as the primary component. Also, research the different types and how they work, eg polyester, epoxy, polyurethane. Lastly, be safe, wear gloves, etc.

Q: Is there anything in particular that inspires you?
A: To be honest I am most inspired by fashion. I try to look for ideas in every day life but ultimately I like to envision pieces that fit into an overall look.

Q: What is your favorite item in your shop right now?
A: I love gazing into this big ring:









Q: Is there another artistic medium that you would love to try?
A: I have been learning metalsmithing and some other jewelry skills for the past few years so I'd like to get more competent at that stuff.

Q: How long have you had your Etsy shop and what made you decide to open it?
A: I set it up this summer to see if I could get some feedback and maybe try to start selling some stuff so I can keep making it!






Kara Mae's designs are available for purchase through her Etsy shop, Pansie Designs.



You can also follow her blog at http://www.unicornmeat.com/




Some more of my favorites from Pansie Designs:





No comments: