Tuesday, February 16

Resin Artist Feature: Lekker

This week's interview is with Rachel Tesselaar, the designer and artist behind Lekker.


Her amazing work includes this series of resin pendants, created from up cycled knitting needles cast in a solid aluminum frame:





Going Dotti Knitting Needle Pendant



Q:Tell us a little about yourself. Where do you live?
A: Melbourne, Australia

Q: What is your favorite thing about where you live?
A: I love that I know where the good food is.

Q: Are you married? Children? Pets?
A: Yes, my husband's name is Mark. I have a 2 year old boy called Archie. No, children are hard enough work.

Q: How did you get started working with resin?
A: It all started when I was planning my wedding. I love Dinosaur Designs
Jewellery and thought I wanted something similar for my bridesmaids.
One of the local colleges was running a short course in Resin. I thought if I
could make them I could save some money (always handy when talking weddings).
No, I can't make a resin necklace like Dinosaur designs, so I did not save any
money - but I did gain a new obsession.

Q: Any advice you would like to share with those just learning the art of resin?
A: Be prepared to experiment, there are a lot of different types of resins out
there that are suited to many different things. For example some take colour
really well while others don't. Some have and amazingly clear finish.
Always follow the safety advice, wear gloves respirators and protective
clothing.

Q: Is there anything in particular that inspires you?
A: I love old wall paper and 50's style illustration, but I find the greatest
inspiration is travel (I am trying to convince my husband of that anyway!).
I love to see what everybody else is up to.

Q: What is your favorite item in your shop right now? And why?
A: I love the mix of colours in this one, it is always so exciting when I cut
them open to see what is inside:





Q: Is there another artistic medium that you would love to try?
A: So many things:

Print Gocco - I trained as a print maker but somehow avoided silk screening. I
see the beautiful things other people are making with this wonderful little
home kit and I want a go.

I would also love to try working with porcelain. It is just a matter of
finding someone who can help me turn my crazy visions into workable pieces.

Q: How long have you had your Etsy shop and what made you decide to open it?
A: It will be 2 years in April. I opened the shop after my website was up. Most
of my bricks and mortar stores are in Victoria, I was thinking it would be
much easier than setting up my own secure website. I also found the DUST team
on etsy to be one of the most helpful and friendly group of people. It is nice
to belong to a community when you work at home all by your lonesome.

Q: Do you have any upcoming projects that you want to share with us?
A: I have just completed a course in precious metal clay, and I'm experimenting
with some ideas of combining that with resin.


Q: Do you have any goals for this year you would like to share, relating to your art or your business?
A: My main goal for this year is to get a new studio built in the back yard so I
can finally get all my junk out of the house. I am very messy.


To see more of Rachel's beautiful work, visit her website at http://www.lekker.com.au/, or visit her Etsy shop at http://www.lekker.etsy.com/

A few more of my favorite designs from Lekker:

Skinny on Silver




No comments: