Friday, July 23

Resin Artist Feature: Janimie

Meet the amazing talent behind Janimie...


I was so pleased to be able to interview Janis, the creator of some really pretty resin pieces.

Her combination of embedded objects together with beautiful, shimmering colors really makes her designs stand apart from the rest.

Yellow Moss Cabochon



Q: Tell us a little about yourself.

A: I am a 30-years old single craftster and developer from The Netherlands, no kids, no pets.
I create resin jewelry and my other hobby is crocheting.


Q: How did you get started working with resin?

A: I discovered Etsy in march 2010 , I had never heard of the website before but from the moment I lurked into the first shops I was hooked. All these listed items were handmade and it looked all so professional and beautiful.

I already wanted to start with creating lampwork beads - before Etsy showed up - but you need a tank filled with gas in your home and I chickened off. I stumbled upon a website where they sell spiritual gift items and one item in particular was a 4-leaved clover encapsulated in glass - I thought. But it wasn't glass , it was plastic and after a lot of research about casted items in liquid plastic my resin adventure began.



Q: Any advice you would like to share with those just learning the art of resin?

A: Read the manuals on resin carefully before you begin. Buy that gas-and dust mask and protective gloves -you will need it- and open a window if you work with polyester resin cause it stinks and its toxic, but any resin is toxic.


Q: Is there anything in particular that inspires you?

A: No , I love experimenting with all kinds of objects. For example , there's a dead bumblebee in my living room, with wide spread wings and I still haven't thrown it away because I really want to see how it turns out in resin :)

I love to see how casting items turn out after curing.

Nature inspires me a lot at the moment, but graphic art and simple glittery items are fun to work with as well.



Q: What is your favorite item in your shop right now, and why?

A: That would be my ladybug pendant because I just love ladybugs, its in my banner, in my avatar, but unfortunately not in my shopname/username.


My Little Ladybug



Q: Is there another artistic medium that you would love to try but haven’t yet?

A: I still want to learn the lampwork art. Resin is fun and you can create a lot with the looks of glass but it will always be plastic. And I really want to work with sterling silver and resin some day. Oh, and painting on cured resin, great tutorial!



Q: Do you have any upcoming projects that you want to share with us?

A: I started working with epoxy resin and casting printed paper works well but I'm not living in the states and importing easy cast is expensive.
So I'm testing polyester resin but casting printed paper with this resin failed on me endlessly, even with 3-4 layers of Mod Podge there's always some leaking.
But I wont give up, I love working with photoshop and creating graphical designs so there will be soon some nice graphic castings in my etsy shop.


Q: Do you have any goals for this year you would like to share, relating to your art or your business?

A: My goal is to have a variety and a big amount of jewelry in my shop, and finishing my website www.janimie.com. Eventually I want to show my work on my own domain.
(Etsy is great but having an own domain is cheaper :)



Three Blue Round Cabochons


Janis, thank you so much for letting us get to know you a little better! Can't wait to see the graphic designs you come up with...sounds exciting!

A few more of my favorites from Janimie...


White and Orange Dried Potpourri Flower Pendant

I think this is my absolute favorite - just love the colors, shape, and striking visual contrast.


And some more fun color...

Three Resin Bottlecap Pendants












No comments: